PARK OPERATION DURING COVID19
Please be advised that the Whitesand Regional Park Board (the board) held a meeting April 19, 2020 to determine proper park operation during Covid19 concerns. Provincial parks and some regional parks across Saskatchewan are closed for the season. The board remains committed to adhering to the current provincial health measures until such restrictive measures are changed by senior governments. Given the unpredictable nature of the situation, the board decided to proceed with the following plan until further notice:
1. Subject to internal regulations, the park is open to seasonal campers and non-seasonal campers that stay for a minimum of one month per scheduled booking.
a) park access has changed as a locking entrance gate will be installed and registered campers may get a gate key with a refundable deposit of $10.00 per key.
b) sub-letting rental of the campsite is strictly prohibited, in other words - camping permits are non-transferable.
c) mixed households (from household of origin) are not permitted to cohabit your recreational vehicle.
d) depending on the circumstances – personal contact-free or minimal contact registration will be available for checking in and out.
2. No tenting allowed.
3. The following facilities will be closed and therefore all associated services and events unavailable or cancelled:
- all public washrooms, including showers (use your own functioning toilet, shower, bathroom facilities so you can self isolate)
- mini-golf course - filleting shack - playground - group campsites
4. Limited access to the main building/concession and limited food services; details to be determined.
5. The golf course will not be available to non-registered campers. Registered campers may use the golf course provided the group is comprised of 4 (and under) players and comply with the provincial 2 metre social/physical distancing regulation.
6. The usual social/physical distancing is in effect at the park as in any public setting.
7. The March 26, 2020 Public Health Order prohibits public gatherings greater than 10 people (with some exceptions) with a 2 meter social distance being maintained.
8. The board has extended the required April 30th payment deadline to May 15th for the 2020 season. You are encouraged to e-transfer your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a cheque in the mail to the address below.
9. As in prior years, the park will open May 15th, however due to the unpredictability of the Covid19 situation it is impossible to know when closure may occur.
10. The Saskatchewan Regional Park Association advised that the Annual General Meeting, which was scheduled for May 23, 2020, must be postponed until further notice.
There may be more internal regulations added in the future, however its believed this will address the main preliminary and primary items that will allow the park to operate during these trying times. It is vital that compliance to all the regulations are adhered to by attendees in order that we are not shutdown by senior regulators. Further to that – non-compliance to internal regulations may result in cancellation of your 2020 camping permit without refund of rental payment(s) and also jeopardize renewal of your permit for future season(s).
It is the board’s intention to operate the park this season in order to provide the most pleasurable camping experience under these unusual circumstances. That is why the board decided to install internet wi-fi this year, so that $10.00 per month will provide you access to the information/entertainment super highway for a more enjoyable stay.
With respect to campers that have bookings for under the one month minimum, we sincerely hope that the Covid19 issue will be lifted sooner than later and we can invite you back.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Whitesand Regional Park Board & Staff
Saskatchewan Regional Parks: Park on the Move 2013!!!
The Whitesand Regional Park, which is situated on the Theodore Reservoir, is one of the most scenic parks in the Regional Park system. Home to an abundance of wildlife and birds, and afforded the beauty of mature trees and vegetation, this park offers numerous amenities to our visitors. We are a one stop camping, fishing and golfing paradise. The reservoir has 15 miles of shoreline and is seeded bi-annually with 500,000 walleye fry with excellent fishing for pike and perch too. The well maintained golf course is seeded with wild grass, which has proven to be resistant to drought. This is a great beginner's course, as we encourage all ages to enjoy the sport of golf. All our campsites face toward mature trees, giving a sense of privacy and personal space.
Village of Theodore has a Co-op service station for gas/propane and cardlock, Parkland Mobile Repair for minor vehicle repairs, grocery store, licensed beverage room/liquor vendor with ATM, butcher shop, honey farm, Credit Union, Health Care Centre for minor medical services, a Recreation Complex and United Church. Village of Sheho has a grocery store/liquor vendor, laundry services, Queens Hotel, known for their great steaks and there is also a tea house with crafts.
Park / Area History
Whitesand Regional Park was constituted on May 4, 1965. Clearing bush in the park started shortly afterwards. Cubs, Scouts and numerous other volunteers made picnic tables, erected fence posts, painted and developed picnic areas. In August 1966 a volunteer committee began construction of the nine hole sand green golf course, and in 1967 the concession building was added as a Canada Centennial Project. Playground equipment was added in 1969 and an upgrade to the golf course was done in 1970. Subsequent years have seen the addition of a Quonset storage building, filleting station, day use picnic area and new campsites. Our most prosperous time has been since 2000 when we added 10 golf cart storage bays, new boat launch & docks, 15 full service campsites, modern washroom/shower building. In 2012 we added 15 new campsites and 30 amp power service throughout the park.
Barrier Free Access
Wheelchair accessible washrooms, showers and the concession is also wheelchair accessible.